Help support

Search for soldier.

Last Name



Browse by Last Name


About Us
E-Mail Comments

More Information on Names in Article

Medical Report on Private G. Deacon, 14th Virginia Cavalry.

Private G. Deacon, Co. G, 14th Virginia Cavalry, aged 25 years, was wounded at Boonesboro, July 8, 1863, and admitted to the Cavalry Corps Hospital. Surgeon S. B. W. Mitchell, 8th Pennsylvania Cavalry, noted a "flesh wound at the knee joint." One week after the reception of the injury the wounded man was transferred to hospital at Frederick, whence Acting Assistant Surgeon W. S. Adams reported the following history: "He was wounded by a spent bull, which entered on the outer lateral surface of the right knee, passing inward and forward, striking the patella and lodging. The patient worked the ball out with his finger on the field. By examination I find no evidence of the ball having entered the cavity; the joint can be moved without pain, and there is no evidence of effusion. Simple dressings were ordered to the wound. On July 25th the external opening had closed and an abscess was forming at the point of lodgement of the ball. Enlarged the external opening so as to communicate with the abscess, when about a half ounce of pus escaped, but no synovial fluid, although there was evidence of the joint being involved, but perhaps not communicating with the opening. On the following day the swelling of the joint was more extensive and fluctuation well marked. Tincture of iodine was then ordered to be applied to the joint twice a day, and the limb was placed in Smith's anterior splint. On August 10th the wound had nearly healed, effusion within the joint had almost entirely subsided, and the patient was comfortable. By August 20th the wound was entirely healed; appearance of joint jiatural. Considerable anchylosis existed, partly owing perhaps to deposit and partly to long continuance in one position. About a week later the splint was removed, and afterwards passive motion was resorted to without producing much pain or tenderness. On September 5th the patient was transferred to Baltimore, having considerable and daily increasing motion of the knee." He was paroled from West's Buildings Hospital on September 25, 1863.

SOURCE: The Medical and Surgical History of the War of the Rebellion. Volume 2, Part 3.

Promote Your Page Too