Help support

Search for soldier.

Last Name



Browse by Last Name


About Us
E-Mail Comments

More Information on Names in Article
Jenkins Marshall Reid Young


W. F. Jenkins, aged seventeen, a member of my command, Company G, 12th Georgia Infantry, was very seriously wounded in the side and leg just at dusk on August 28, 1862, in the battle of Second Manassas. When the firing ceased, Capt. A. S. Reid ordered Robert Jenkins (a brother) and Henry Marshall to look for and bring him into the lines. Seeing that Frank was desperately wounded, he ordered him taken to the field hospital and directed that his brother stay with him until his father could come. It was unusual to allow this, and Captain Reid said: "I may be court-martialed for it, but I'm going to take the risk."

While Frank was being taken to the field hospital at night the little party was halted and asked: "Who are you?" The bearers responded: "We are two men of the 12th Georgia carrying a wounded comrade to the hospital." To their surprise, the picket said: "Don't you know you are in the Union lines?" "No." "You are; go to your right." Robert Jenkins said: "Man, you've got a heart in you." The Federal said: "God bless you."

The hospital was soon reached, but the doctors did not think Frank could survive the wound in his side; so they did not amputate his badly wounded leg. A few days later Robert Jenkins, with Frank and Lieutenant Scott, of the same company, who had also been seriously wounded on the 27th at Manassas Junction, reached Middleburg, twenty miles northwest of the battle field. As the wounded men lay on the ground a pretty young lady of the town came inquiring for Frank Jenkins and had him removed to her home; but her father declared the no Confederate soldier should stay in his house, and he made such a row that Robert Jenkins went out to look for another place. Finding that Scott had rented a room and wanted to share it with Frank, he was soon removed to the new place and there remained until his father came and took him home. After nineteen months he returned to the army with a shorter leg and was given a position as orderly sergeant of Dole's Brigade, serving to the end.

Thus through the thoughtfulness of his captain and the magnanimity of a Federal picket this young life was saved to many years of usefulness. Frank Jenkins lived nearly his entire life in Eatonton, Ga., where he became an eminent lawyer and judge of the Superior Court, holding the high regard, respect, and love of all who knew him. His death occurred there suddenly in December, 1909.

SOURCE: Confederate Veteran Magazine, August, 1916.

Promote Your Page Too