Help support

Search for soldier.

Last Name



Browse by Last Name


About Us
E-Mail Comments

More Information on Names in Article
Lindsay Miller Williamson

Col. A. J. Lindsay's Report On Actions of First Mississippi Cavalry At Shiloh, Tennessee.

April 21, 1862.

MAJOR: I have the honor to report the part which my regiment took in the battle of April 6 and 7.

I was ordered by Major-General Polk to repair to Lexington on April 4 and there assume command of nine companies of Mississippi Cavalry.

While at Jackson I received a telegram to march immediately to the neighborhood of Monterey with the regiment. I sent a messenger at once to Lieutenant-Colonel [John H.] Miller, at Lexington, directing him to start without delay, and that I would meet him at Purdy. I overtook Lieutenant-Colonel [John H.] Miller a few miles this side of Monterey and assumed oomnmand of the regiment.

On the morning of the 6th instant I marched toward the battle-field on the left flank of Major-General Cheatham's division, and kept with it until just before engaging the enemy, when General Cheatham ordered me to pass in his rear. I did so, and shortly after General Cheatham's division became engaged with the enemy. I remained probably an hour or two in General Cheatham's rear, when I received an order from General Bragg to report to him. I did so, and received an order to support some infantry farther up the hill, near where a battery had just been taken. I obeyed the order, and was told by a staff officer of General Breckinridge to place myself near General Jackson's column. I waited there until I received an order from another staff officer to proceed with all possible haste to the river. I arrived with my command at the place where General Prentiss surrendered and reported to Major-General Polk, who, directing me to take command of all the cavalry and go up the river to cut off the enemy's retreat, I directed Lieutenant-Colonel [John H.] Miller to proceed on immediately with my regiment in that direction, while I was delayed a few minutes to collect all the cavalry I could. Finding amid confusion I could get none except my regiment, I joined it, and arrived at the head of it just as a battery from Michigan had surrendered to Lieutenant-Colonel [John H.] Miller. This battery was complete in men, horses, and guns, and I ordered it to be taken to General Polk. I saw another battery across a deep ravine, and started with 30 or 40 men to take it. I captured one of the caissons; but on coming up with the battery found myself in the presence of several brigades of the enemy's infantry drawn up in line. They fired at me, but I managed to get under the hill without sustaining any damage. I returned to my regiment and proceeded to the bank of the river, where I captured 6 or 7 prisoners, making in all about 60 or 70 that my regiment had taken. I remained that night until 12 o'clock in the saddle on picket duty, and spent the balance of the night in the enemys camp.

Monday morning I was ordered to take position on the Bark road. During the day I supported, successively, the divisions of Breckinridge and Hardee, and in the afternoon I was ordered by General Hardee to cover the retreat of his division, which I did, skirmishing with the enemy, and was the last of the army to leave the field.

I sent you a list of the casualties which occurred before I left Corinth.*

I cannot speak too highly of the good behavior of both officers and men of the regiment.

I have the honor to be, respectfully, your obedient servant,


Colonel, Commanding Mississippi Cavalry.


Assistant Adjutant-General.

* List shows 2 officers and 3 men wounded.

SOURCE: Official Records of the War of the Rebellion, Series 1, Volume 10, Part 1, Pages 459-460.

Promote Your Page Too