Help support

Search for soldier.

Last Name



Browse by Last Name


About Us
E-Mail Comments

More Information on Names in Article
Devane Faison Foard Paddison

Obituary of Major John R. Paddison, North Carolina.

How thin grow the ranks of the veterans who made the Confederate war one long story of heroism! And how profoundly it stirs the heart of the South to note the passing of these men! When we consider the youth, the dash, the unbreakable courage of the "boys in gray," we well may see how it does us honor to honor them.

Another of these soldiers, after living a clean and noble life, has heard the final call to arms and has gone to receive the Great Commanders commendation. Maj. John R. Paddison, of Mount Airy, N. C. passed away on September 16, 1919, leaving his wife, six sons, and a wide circle of friends to mourn their loss.

Major Paddison was born in Prince William County, Va. in 1846 of English parentage. At ten years of age he came to North Carolina with his father, who settled in New Hanover County, now Pender, where he attended school until April 1, 1861. Although not then fifteen years old, he volunteered for service and joined the Sampson Rangers, the first company from Sampson County, which was organized in Clinton under command of Capt. Frank J. Faison on April 20, 1861. In a few weeks the company was armed and equipped, ordered to report for duty at Smithville, now Southport, N. C., and assigned to the 20th North Carolina Regiment. At the election of officers Captain Faison was promoted to lieutenant colonel, which caused a split in the company, and Major Paddison went with the part that elected Capt. William S. Devane. The company was recruited to the full number and placed as Company A, 61st North Carolina Troop, and remained at the fort until the breaking out of yellow fever in 1862, when it was ordered into camp a few miles above Wilmington. Later on young Paddison returned to Fort Caswell and was transferred to the battery of light artillery under Capt. A. A. Moseley, one of his former officers. After a few months he found this branch of the service to heavy for him, and upon the recommendation of his captain he was transferred to the signal corps. He served in this capacity at Fort Caswell, Smithville, Fort Anderson, and Battery Buchanan, just below Fort Fisher, where he was captured when Fort Fisher fell, January 15, 1865. He was taken as a prisoner of war to Point Lookout, Maryland, where he remained until June 16, 1865, when he was released upon taking the oath of allegiance to the United States government. He then went back to Pender County and engaged in business with his brother, Capt. R. P. Paddison at Point Caswell, N.C.

He married Miss Alice Foard, of Iredell County, with whom he lived most happily for the space of fifty years, lacking a few days.

In 1886 he moved to Mount Airy, N.C. where he lived until the time of his death. He was a long an active member of Surry County Camp, No. 797, U.C.V., and became Inspector General with the rank of major on the staff of Gen. P. C. Carlton, commanding First Brigade of the North Carolina Division, United Confederate Veterans.

SOURCE: Confederate Veteran Magazine, January, 1920.

Promote Your Page Too