Help support

Search for soldier.

Last Name



Browse by Last Name


About Us
E-Mail Comments

More Information on Names in Article
Gordon Harden

Obituary of H. C. Harden, Savannah, Georgia.

H. C. Harden, a veteran of the Atlantic Coast Line Railway, having given fifty years of service to that road, died at his home, in Savannah, Ga., on December 21, 1915, at the age of seventy-one years. He was born in that city, and his life was spent there, with the exception of the years given to service in the Confederate army. The following is taken from his military record as written by himself:

"In May, 1861, the Governor of Georgia called for sixty-day volunteers. H. C. Harden, when a boy of sixteen years old at school, secured permission from Capt. G. A. Gordon to drill with the Phoenix Riflemen at night and about the 29th of May mustered in for sixty days and went to Fort Pulaski. On August 10 they returned to Savannah and mustered out of service, but then reenlisted for six months and returned to Fort Pulaski. In September this company was sent to Thunderbolt to build breastworks. Comrade Harden was one of ten selected by Major Gordon to scout the island. There were then three companies-A, B, and C, 13th Georgia Battalion. He belonged to Company C. Other companies joined in and formed the 63d Georgia Regiment, Col. G. A. Gordon commanding.

"About July 1, 1863, Companies C and K were ordered to Charleston, S. C., and saw service on James Island, at Secessionville, and then on Morris Island, being in charge of the heavy guns in Battery Wagner. H. C. Harden was gunner of the eight-inch gun during the assault on the 18th of July, 1863, and his company had five killed and nine badly wounded. In August, 1863, the company returned to Savannah for recriuts; and in April, 1864, the regiment was ordered to join the Western Army at Dalton, Ga., leaving Savannah with fourteen hundred men. The first fight was at Rocky Face, on Dug Gap, May 5, 1864; and then there were fighting and marching day and night until about June 20, when they arrived at Kennesaw Mountain. Comrade Harden was wounded in the head on June 24. He ran away from the hospital July 19 and returned to his company just in time to go into the battle of Peachtree Creek on the 20th. His wound had not healed, and his imprudence caused him a great deal of pain, as his skull had been fractured.

"He was captured on April 13, 1865, and paroled thirteen days later. He was in Gen. W. H. T. Walker's division until the latter was killed in the battle of Atlanta, July 2, 1864. Then his brigade was put in Gen. Pat Cleburne's division until General Cleburne was killed at Franklin, Tenn., November 30, 1864. Then, until the close of the war, April 26, 1865. Gen. W. H. Smith commanded the division.

SOURCE: Confederate Veteran Magazine, March, 1916.

Promote Your Page Too