Help support

Search for soldier.

Last Name



Browse by Last Name


About Us
E-Mail Comments

More Information on Names in Article
Jones McClintic

Obituary of John Henry McClintic, New York City.

The last call of the roll came suddenly to John H. McClintic, of New York City, on May 18, 1916, as he sat beside the library table, with his devoted wife at his side. He was born in Rockbridge County, Va., September 11, 1846, the third son of Shanklin and Margaret Shields McClintic. When the War between the States began, he was too young to be accepted in the Confederate army, anxious as he was to go; but early in 1863, at the age of sixteen, he enlisted in the 1st Virginia Cavalry, General Wickham's brigade, General Fitzhugh Lee's division. Like many Virginia boys, "Tip" McClintic, as he was best known through his life by his intimates, was a fearless rider and owned a fine horse. He was a handsome lad, intrepid, brave and courageous, with a winning personality which made him very popular. He was soon selected by General Wickham as a courier, in which capacity he served both him and Gen. Fitzhugh Lee. He was in many of the fierce engagements and battles from 1863 until the close of the war. At Mount Jackson he saved the colors, snatching the flag from the hand of the dying color bearer, Figgett, and carried it in safety throughout the battle. He fought at Cold Harbor, Seven Pines, Chancellorsville, Fredericksburg, and in other closely contested battles, escaping untouched until the very last engagement before the evacuation of Richmond, when he was shot in the right arm just below the shoulder. For many hours he suffered for attention, but was finally taken to a hospital in Richmond, where his arm was set and the wound dressed. Twenty-four hours later he and all the wounded able to travel made their exit from the hospital rather than fall into the hands of the advancing enemy. Sometimes on foot, sometimes on an oxcart or wagon, sometimes riding behind some kind-hearted horseman, with many halts forced by exhaustion, slowly and painfully he made his weary way to his home in Rockbridge County.

He found his father entirely ruined by the war, their fine farm, with its mills and equipment, swallowed up in the general devastation, After the close of the war he went into a cotton shed in Memphis, Tenn., for a few months. In the fall of 1868, with his large family of brothers and sisters and his aged father, he removed to Missouri, where he engaged in farming. Very soon he became interested also in the cattle business, being one of the first to realize the immense possibilities therein, and from that time until his death he was one of the most widely known and enterprising live-stock feeders and shippers in North Missouri, He owned two beautifully located and improved farms, comprising over seven hundred acres, of which he was justly proud, in addition to a beautiful home in town. He was married October 21, 1875, to May, eldest daughter of Dr. George C. Jones, of Wilmington, Del., who, with their only daughter, Caroline, survives him. He was one of the most highly respected and popular men in the community. His personal magnetism, his genial disposition, and his big, generous heart enderaed him to all his associates, and he numbered his friends by the hundred. He was a member of the Episcopal Church and a Royal Arch Mason. At his funeral the beautiful burial service of the Episcopal Church was followed by the equally impressive Masonic burial ritual at the grave.

SOURCE: Confederate Veteran Magazine, November, 1916.

Promote Your Page Too