Help support

Search for soldier.

Last Name



Browse by Last Name


About Us
E-Mail Comments

More Information on Names in Article
Orr Park

Obituary of Ephraim Paraham Park, Elkton, Tennessee.

The end of a long and useful life came with the death of Ephraim P. Park, one of the oldest and most beloved citizens of Elkton, Tenn., after suffering for eight weeks. He was buried in the Park and Worley Cemetery near his home by the Masons, of which fraternity he had long been a member. He was in his eighty-seventh year, having been born July 13, 1835, at Cornersville, Tenn., the sone of John and Pattie Park. He was married on July 19, 1859, near Cornersville, to Miss Mattie Ann Orr, daughter of Col. W. D. Orr, and to this union nine sons and a daughter were born, all surviving except one son. His wife also survives him, and there are forty grandchildren and seventeen great-grandchildren.

Comrade Park entered the Confederate army as a private in 1861, as a member of Company F, 53rd Tennessee Infantry. He was captured at Fort Donelson and taken to Indianapolis Ind., and after seven months' imprisonment was exchanged at Vicksburg, Miss. He was elected orderly sergeant for a term then, after serving as wagon master for a while, he was recalled to his command and participated in many battles. He passed through Tennessee with Hood's command, also through Mississippi, Georgia, North and South Carolina; was wounded only once, and that at Fort Donelson, when a finger was injured and a lock of hair cut from his head by a Minie ball. He remained in active service to the close of the war, and nothing pleased him more than to talk of war times. He was a brave and true soldier, and as a citizen he was admired and trusted by every one. His strongets characteristic was his modesty, and he was charitable in its broadest sense. His life was one of spotless integrity, and to his chldren is left the heritage of a good name, untarnished by an unworthy act or deed. It was in his home, in his Church, and in his daily walk in the community that he exemplified those attributes of soul that justified the high esteem in which he was held and the tribute of the community's universal sorrow at his going away.

He joined the Cumberland Presbyterian Church at Fiducia, near Aspen Hill, Tenn., in 1884, and was made deacon of that Church. In 1894 he moved his membership to Elkton, was ordained elder, and lived and died an influential and acceptable member of that denomination.

Although he went in the fullness of life's allotted span of years, even so as to make beautifully appropriate the words of St. Paul: "For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, shall give me at that day."

SOURCE: Confederate Veteran Magazine, August, 1922.

Promote Your Page Too